Are all crib mattresses safe? Short answer, NO! Buying a mattress for your newborn or child is a big deal. A lot of crib and child mattresses that are sold in stores can trigger illnesses. Many infant mattresses contain poisons.
Take 5 minutes of your day & watch this video where I answer: “Are All Crib Mattresses Safe?”
I promise you it’s worth your time. I cover what to look for when buying a mattress for your baby or child in just 5 minutes.
Baby & Crib Mattress Facts
- The average small child can spend up to 75% of their younger years sleeping which is why it’s so important to keep them in a safe, clean sleep environment. Especially considering that is a crucial time for brain development.
- Our baby’s skin, just like our skin is porous, and dangerous chemicals can be absorbed into their tiny bodies through their skin.
- It’s proven that children are more sensitive to chemical exposure.
Chemicals in Mattresses
- Today, one in six kids in the US have a developmental or learning disability. Some experts believe these issues may be due partly to early exposures to toxic chemicals in their environment.
- There are over 80,000 chemicals used and approved in the US. That includes the ones in crib mattresses. And most of these chemicals have not been tested for their toxic effects. How scary is that?
- Flame retardants, formaldehyde, and benzene have been found in some mattresses. These are the same chemicals linked to cancer and developmental brain disorders.
- Studies have proven that babies are more easily exposed to high levels of chemical emissions from crib mattresses while they sleep. body heat increases these chemical emissions from the mattress. This “off-gassing” is strongest in a sleeping infant’s breathing zone.
- If your mattress is off-gassing harmful chemicals, your baby is breathing in those toxins for hours every night.
It’s important that we choose a crib mattress that is safe and clean for our babies and children. So, here’s a couple of things to keep in mind when looking to buy a mattress:
What To Look For in A Baby Mattress
- Stay away from memory foam, which is so common now in pillows and cribs. Memory foam can contain a family of chemicals called isocyanates (isos-io-nates) which can cause your baby to get sicknesses like asthma and bronchitis.