There are so many endless ideas for creating the most adorable baby nursery. It can be overwhelming! Have no fear!
In this video I’m going to share with you 10 ways to design a non toxic nursery that is also fabulous! I will also explain how to set up a nursery that aids in positive mental and physical health. I also sprinkle in bits about kind and compassionate design.
10 Ways to Design a Non Toxic Nursery:
Hands down, for me the most important item you bring into a newborn’s nursery is their mattress. So, I’m gonna’ spend a bit of time talking about it.
1. The average child spends up to 75% of their younger years sleeping, and a baby’s skin, like ours, is porous, just like a sponge, and things, like dangerous chemicals can easily pass through our skin. Manufacturers are allowed to sell crib mattresses that contain these highly dangerous chemicals, chemicals that potentially affect a fragile baby’s brain development. How crazy is that? Stay away from mattresses that are filled with these poisons.
2. Also, allergic materials, like latex, even if it’s “natural or organic latex” should never be used in a crib mattress, ‘cause you don’t know if a baby is allergic to latex! They were just born!
- Think of balloons. They’re made of latex and not allowed in schools. Why? Cause some kids are allergic to them and can have severe dangerous reactions. Here’s what’s crazy. There are many “organic/natural” crib mattresses on the market stuffed with latex, be careful!
3. Hygiene and waterproofing. All those lovely liquids a baby expels (yuck) can contaminate a mattress, below the surface, which can be breathed in by a baby when face down. Scary stuff. Although it’s important to get an organic crib mattress, most don’t have waterproofing. Not good and very necessary.
4. Speaking of organic don’t be misled by words like ‘bamboo’ and ‘soybean’ mattresses. They are filled with chemicals. Choose certified organic cotton. So, make sure to get a crib mattress that is waterproofed without the use of harsh chemicals, is certified organic cotton and certified non toxic.
Ok! On to decorating a nursery!
5. The average child spends up to 75% of their younger years sleeping, and a baby’s skin, like ours, is porous. Allergic materials, like latex, even if it’s “natural or organic latex” should never be used in a crib mattress.
6. Don’t be misled by words like ‘bamboo’ and ‘soybean’ in crib mattresses. These are filled with chemicals. They’re definitely not non-toxic.
7. Make sure to choose non toxic, eco friendly paints or wallpaper in your babies nursery.
8. Ceiling fan – Get one! Fact. Infants who sleep under a ceiling fan reduce their risk of SIDS by 72%.
9. Remember to be practical in decorating a nursery and with each purchase, don’t only think of aesthetics, but consider chemicals and kindness.
10. And if you have to choose price over quality, don’t skimp on a baby’s mattress. Remember, it’s the most important item in a nursery.
Those are our 10 ways to design a non toxic nursery! If you need a little extra help & expertise from us, check out our Virtual Design packages.